Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Desynchronosis: AKA, Jet Lag

According to Wikipedia, Jet Lag is caused when your body gets out of synch with its usual sleeping pattern (Hence the medical term desynchronosis). Symptoms include sleep disturbance, increased difficulty performing cognitive tasks, and sometimes lack of appetite and/or indigestion.

Mostly, it's just not very fun. Yesterday, I wanted very much to help with Hector and Lili's music recital. They really needed the help, but when it came time to leave at 4:00 in the afternoon, I was just done. I thought to myself "All right, I'll sleep today, and tomorrow I'll get up and I'll help," since I knew they had another recital planned for the next day. Today I woke up at 6:00 in the morning, which is early, but I didn't think too much of it. Until 12:00 rolls around and I realize I will be no good to anyone if I don't at least take a nap. So here was my plan: Take a nap, get up around 3:00, eat something and then head out to help work this recital!

I realized too late that there was a flaw with my plan. At home, I usually use my phone as an alarm clock. The problem is that when a phone is in Airplane mode, it doesn't receive any signals telling it what time it is, which means I can't set my alarm. I guess I just sort of assumed I would wake up when I wanted to, even without the alarm. I ended up waking up at 5:30. I ate a little something, and then went back to sleep until 9:00.

So, here's my new plan for tomorrow: I just wont sleep. That should do the trick!

Please pray that I would adjust better to the day and night cycles here in Spain. If you have any suggestions for adapting more quickly, leave a comment. Thank you very much for your continued prayers and support while I'm here! I know God has good plans for these next few weeks, I just hope I'm awake to take it all in. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, most "jet lag cures" are actually jet lag PREVENTERS. You have to start them two to three days before you leave. A couple of things that might help are staying hydrated (NOT caffeine) and taking a really warm bath before going to bed.

    Hope you adjust quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should definitely look at carrying a water bottle with me. =)

      Delete
    2. Drinking plenty of water should help, Lydia, as well as those power naps. We're praying for you!

      Delete
  2. Poor thing! I am so sorry you are struggling with the adjustments. I have been praying and will continue to do so. We should have gotten you an alarm clock. :/ Sorry.

    It will all work out though. You just have to get over this little hump. Love you honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it's 3 days since your last post... :) Hope it's all going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Heather Alley Hope....I travel all over the world all the time. Jet lag never gets easier with more travel. I am currently in Singapore, 13 hours ahead of Alabama time. When dealing with Jet Lag, the number one thing you can do is drink plenty of water, bottled water or boiled water. No caffeine. Also, as painful as it is, as soon as you get to your destination, whatever time of day it is there, stay on that schedule and do not lay down for a "nap" in the middle of the day. That makes jet lag and getting in sync with your local time even worse/more difficult. You just have to push through the day which can be painful sometimes but is the best way to deal with it. Jet lag will get better once you do that within a day or two. You can always go to bed just a little earlier than you normally would at home, which could help too. There really is no magic jet lag fix. If there were, I would have it with me ALL the time! Hope you have a good trip and stay safe. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia, your mom, dad and brothers were here for supper last night. Uncle Jayme, Jennifer and kids are down this week, too. We missed you, but hope things are going great in Spain. Maybe by now you have adjusted to Spanish time. We love you!

    ReplyDelete